THE BIBLE, BEN GURION & THE BEACH (israel)
In a Nutshell
If you had a time machine, where would you go first? The Holy Land, right?
Well, this adventure is about making new memories in an ancient land; in this unique adventure, after a few initial days in Jerusalem, we will witness the rehabilitation process of biblical wild animals and marine conservation in the Red Sea (Disclaimer: no ancient Egyptian battle chariots are expected). But at the heart of this adventure, you will then get an opportunity to immerse yourself into a communal, agricultural community, by volunteering at a kibbutz in the Negev Desert.
Want more? This larger-than-life southern adventure can be enhanced with an optional few days of soul searching and mind expansion in three very different, cultural highlights of Israel.
This unique adventure, located in the southern part of Israel, has a few pillars; we will start by witnessing Jerusalem’s hidden magic. Then, we will take off our tourist hats, roll up our sleeves and engage in our contributional work at a Kibbutz. We will witness Ben Gurion’s vision and innovative Israeli agricultural technology combine to create a new and improved bounty of fruits and vegetables in the arid desert. In fact, we will be part of that innovation!
At the Sanctuary for Biblical Animals, we will witness rehabilitation and habitat preservation. Lastly, we will head south towards the Red Sea to witness the magnificent, yet vulnerable coral reef. The southernmost part of Israel will mark the completion of this adventure. The end? maybe, but maybe not.
If this intense adventure leaves you with a feeling of, “I want more, and next year in Israel isn’t good enough!”, we have created three add-on opportunities, differentiated not only by location but also by nature and narrative. Look below at our “Northern Nirvana,” “TLV Thrills ” and “Jerusalem’s Joy of Giving” add-ons.
Each one can serve as an alternative ending to our timeless adventure. Buckle up, everyone!
Day 1, Thursday: Arrival at Ben Gurion Airport (TLV). Transfer to a beautiful, boutique hotel in Jerusalem.
Day 2, Friday: A day tour in Jerusalem that will include a handful of the ancient city’s “must-see” landmarks, but mostly focus on the hidden treasures. Witness the unique phenomenon of Jerusalem, moving from super-hectic to super-calm. Shabbat Shalom! Dinner will be served at a prime location.
Day 3, Saturday: Same Jerusalem: different day, very different city: a full day that will take advantage of the quiet calm that encompasses Shabbat in Jerusalem. More “must-see” sights, even more hidden treasures.
Day 4, Sunday: An early morning will jump start this day with more Jerusalem jewels. We will leave Jerusalem’s mountains by early afternoon and arrive at the lowest place on earth – the Dead Sea. We will witness the heroic story of Masada and head to the Kibbutz for a warm welcome, orientation and introduction to the new chapter in our adventure- the contributional work.
Day 5, Monday: Contributional work in Kibbutz Lotan*. Hands-on workshop to learn about organic gardens, healthy eating and the production of superfood.
Day 6, Tuesday: Contributional work in the Kibbutz. Natural building using sustainable earth mixture for bricks. Evening free time with optional time at the seasonal pool.
Day 7, Wednesday: Contributional work in the Kibbutz. Natural building and discussion session about desert ecology and the effects of human settlements.
Day 8, Thursday: Final day of contributional work in the Kibbutz. Harvesting, potting and planting.
Day 9, Friday: Goodbye desert, hello beach: after an early departure from the kibbutz, we will head to the Yotvata Hai-Bar Biblical Nature Reserve, where we will witness the endangered and nearly extinct animals mentioned in the Bible and the preservation efforts that will enable their possible reintroduction to the Negev Desert. The Eilat Coral Reef Reserve will be our next stop, so get your swimsuits ready for a reviving dip in the Red Sea*. A festive Kabbalat Shabbat will serve also as a farewell from our hosts and will mark the end of this adventure.
*Swimming or snorkeling can be replaced by a complimentary camel ride or simply relaxing on the beach in Eilat.
Day 10, Saturday: Morning flight to TLV and departure from Ben Gurion international airport (TLV) for those whose adventure ends here.
“Northern Nirvana”: A well-deserved, laid-back vacation, in a completely different environment – located in the northern part of Israel, between the Naftali ridge and the Hula Valley. We will pepper your relaxation with pulses of interest such as a wine tour, bird watching, and historical content, should you choose to step out of the spa…***
“TLV Thrills ”: There’s a reason why locals call it “The State of Tel Aviv.” It has an unmatched vibe and buzz, not only within Israel but also among distinguished, global urban destinations. Feeling adventurous? Miss the city lights? Three days is just the right amount of time to taste this wonderful city’s treats- known and hidden…
“Jerusalem Joy of Giving”: Searching for more meaningful experiences? Haven’t had enough of Jerusalem? Let’s combine the two programs, and experience a different type of contributional work at a therapeutic school for at-risk children, located in one of the most special neighborhoods of Jerusalem.
**Note: The three optional days are available for an additional fee $600 USD per add-on.
*** Detailed itineraries are available upon request
- Location of the adventure: Jerusalem, A Kibbutz ,Israel (Multiple locations including an optional visit to Tel Aviv and/or the Galilee)
- Project length: 10 days (with the option to extend an additional three days)
- Arrival & Departure Airport: Ben Gurion Airport (TLV)
- Contributional Work: The Eco-Experience on the Kibbutz, situated in Israel ’s southern Arava desert offers you a hands‐on opportunity to work with the staff. You will help build natural earth structures, develop sustainable architecture, plant and harvest in the organic garden, experience permaculture gardening, maintain the educational Eco-Park, and live in the Eco Guesthouse. Throughout the week, participants are encouraged to take part in cultural events on the Kibbutz and in the region.
The optional contributional work in Jerusalem will be held in a unique educational and therapeutic institute. The institute works with at-risk youth from all sectors and neighborhoods in Jerusalem who have behavioral difficulties and/or learning disabilities.
- Number of Participants: This adventure requires a minimum of four participants.
- Family Option: This project accepts families with children as young as 5 years old.
- Accommodations: A combination of a 4-star boutique hotel in Jerusalem, an eco Guesthouse (rooms equipped with air conditioning, WIFI, a kitchenette, etc) located in a sustainable neighbourhood of eco houses in a Kibbutz, a 5 star lodge in Mitzpe Ramon and an optional hostel in Tel Aviv for the optional ending. Specific accommodations are subject to change due to local conditions and project requirements, but will be at the same, high standard of comfort as those presented on this page.
- Food: Jerusalem Days: half board. Kibbutz Lotan Days: three meals per day. Beresheet (lodge) Days: half board. Optional days: no meals included.
- Support: Comprehensive and professional pre-departure travel guidance, 24/7 GoEco emergency hotline, experienced local field team.
What’s Not Included
Flights, personal expenses, dinners, visa (if applicable), optional days as mentioned above.
Adventure Departure Dates
- May 3rd, 2019
- June 7th, 2019
- September 6th, 2019
- November 29th, 2019
Adventure Cost: $3,400 USD