In a Nutshell
Everybody adores Italy. What’s not to adore about this magnificent Mediterranean marvel? The wine? The historic landscapes? The mouth-watering cuisine?
We are offering, on top of these guilty pleasures, a marine voyage to encounter, study and help protect the natural habitat of seven species of dolphins and whales. After contributing to marine conservation, we will visit picturesque villages along the famous Amalfi coastline, feel the ever-so beating heart of the city of Naples, get up close to the Vesuvius volcano and witness the impact of its roar on ancient Pompeii. And yes, heavenly gelato and Limoncello are included…
The presence of seven different species of dolphins and whales in a relatively small area gives our project’s participants a unique opportunity to study and compare the behavioral ecology of the different species of marine cetaceans. The goal of this project is to conserve these marine species and their marine habitat, which has been threatened by human activity.
In the city of Naples, along the Amalfi coastline and within the surrounding area of this great, Italian region we will immerse ourselves in history, culture and some dolce vita, but dolphins first.
Day 1, Monday: Arrival to Naples International Airport (NAP). Sail to Ischia island. Detailed introduction about the project, scientific methods, and participants roles. Dinner in Ischia.
Day 2, Tuesday: Full day of research work at sea.
Day 3, Wednesday: Full day of research work at sea.
Day 4, Thursday: Full day of research work at sea.
Day 5, Friday: Day tour including sightseeing at the old village of Ischia Ponte and the Aragonese Castle, and an afternoon indulgence at the natural thermal pools.
Day 6, Saturday: Full day of research work at sea.
Day 7, Sunday: Last day of research work at sea.
Day 8, Monday: Leave Ischia island and sail to Sorrento Port, check in to a beautiful boutique hotel and enjoy a free evening in the Sorrento city center.
Day 9, Tuesday: Free day in Sorrento with a complimentary, guided walking tour. Optional activities – an Italian cooking workshop, a Limoncello tour (where you will be introduced to the ancient art of lemon cultivation), or a visit to Capri.
Day 10, Wednesday: Naples Day-A full day of exploring in vibrant Naples – Eat, Pray and Love walking (and driving) tour. Transfer back to Sorrento in the evening.
Day 11, Thursday: Vesuvius Mountain Day- Vesuvius 4×4 tour with lunch and wine tasting.
Day 12, Friday: Archeology & History Day- A Pompeii and Herculaneum archeological tour.
Day 12, Saturday: Villages Day- A full day of visiting Costiera Amalfitana picturesque villages- Positano, Amalfi and Ravello. Farewell Dinner in Sorrento.
Day 13, Sunday: Departure from NAP.
*Please note: Slight changes may occur in the program schedule due to local weather conditions and project needs.
- Location of the adventure: Ischia Island, Sorrento & surroundings, Italy (multiple locations).
- Project length: two weeks.
- Arrival & departure Airport: Naples International Airport (NAP).
- Contributional Work: Marine life data collection and research: Live aboard a famous historic boat and assist with important dolphin data collection as you sail along the Italian coastline! This project has been operating since 1991 and it directly contributed to the establishment of the marine protected area known as Neptune’s Kingdom. The main focus of the project is to collect data which can create an accurate picture of the cetaceans’ life including population sizes, social structures of the populations, habitat use and distribution and the acoustic repertoire of the animals. The project also evaluates the impact of the operations of local fisheries and vessel traffic upon the ecosystem.
In addition to its scientific goals, the project promotes education and awareness activities for the public, publishes its results to the scientific community and aims to improve the conservation efforts in the area.
- Number of Volunteers: six international volunteers per group.
- Important Note: This project runs only from the middle of May until the end of September.
- Accommodations: During Sea Days: Two single bunk beds and two double- bunk beds on board a 17.7 meter boat.
Upon arrival to Sorrento: 4-star boutique hotel in Sorrento, with twin and double beds and ensuite facilities.
- Food: During Sea Days: three meals per day, upon arrival to Sorrento: half board.
- Support: Comprehensive and professional pre-departure travel guidance, 24/7 GoEco emergency hotline, experienced local field team.
What’s Not Included
Flights, visas (if required), travel health insurance, transportation to and from the project, meals, personal expenses.
Adventure Departure Dates
- July 1st, 2019
- July 29th, 2019
Adventure Cost: $4,250 USD