SCIENCE IN THE SAVANNA
In a Nutshell
Kruger Park is one of the most famous and diverse game reserves in the world, where one can see wildlife up close, in their natural habitat.
We offer something different; on top of a magnificent safari drive in Kruger park, participants will be involved in research tasks in the wild, helping to gather information to improve conditions in the Klaseire private Nature Reserve , located in the the Greater Kruger Area, to conserve Africa’s Big Five.
Combined with safari tours,relaxed time in Blyde River Canyon , and historic tours in places like Johannesburg’s Soweto township, the former home of Nelson Mandela, we believe this is an adventure that will exceed your expectations.
This adventure focuses on wildlife in the Greater Kruger Area.
As a participant in this project you will be working closely with Africa’s famous “Big Five” – the African elephant, lion, rhinoceros, cape buffalo and leopard – and many more species as well. In addition, you will have the opportunity to explore the magnificent Blyde River Canyon and the bustling city of Johannesburg with its lively culture. Embrace the spirit of Africa on a full-day safari in the renowned Kruger National Park, and don’t forget to indulge yourself in the luxurious lodge in Blyde River Canyon. A flight over this magnificent canyon in a hot air balloon will change your view on the savanna. Literally 🙂
Day 1, Saturday: Arrival into Johannesburg Airport (JNB). Pick up to the beautiful boutique hotel where we will meet the crew and perhaps other members of the group.
Day 2, Sunday: Full-day historical tour of Johannesburg and Soweto.
Day 3, Monday: Fly into Hoedspruit (HDS – flight not included in project cost). Transportation provided from Hoedspruit to our project in Klaseire Game Reserve, located in the Greater Kruger Area. Upgraded lodging at project base.
Day 4, Tuesday: Detailed introduction in the morning followed by an afternoon research drive.
Day 5, Wednesday: Full day of research work with wildlife: Bird surveys, data entry and a night drive in the park.
Day 6, Thursday: Full day of volunteer work with wildlife: Safari drive,photo analysis and a Rhino poaching presentation
Day 7, Friday: Morning conservation work .Afternoon town trip.
Day 8, Saturday: Full-day jeep safari tour at Kruger National Reserve.
Day 9, Sunday: Free day for participants to explore on their own or join other activities such as a photography workshop, horseback riding, local cooking workshop, and more.
Day 10, Monday: Full day of volunteer work with wildlife according to the project goals and timelines
Day 11,Tuesday: Full day of conservation work followed by a celebratory braai (African BBQ) around a fire to celebrate the end of this part of the adventure
Day 12, Wednesday: A Panorama tour to Blyde River Canyon followed by a drop off at Blyde River Canyon Lodge**
Day 13, Thursday: A festive finish to this adventure with an early morning hot air balloon trip over the Canyon followed by a well deserved rest in the lodge. Other activities are also available.
Day 14, Friday: Flight from HDS back to JNB Airport.
*Please note: Changes may occur in the program schedule due to local weather conditions and animal/project needs and milestones.
**Please note: Specific accommodations are subject to change due to local conditions, but will be at the same high standard of comfort as those presented on this page.
- Location of the Project: Johannesburg & Greater Kruger Area, South Africa.
- Project length: 2 weeks.
- Arrival & departure Airport: O.R. Tambo International Airport (JNB).
- Family Option: This project accepts families with children as young as 15 years old.
- Contributional Work: Animal conservation, research and observation:
Participants will be carrying out research on endangered wildlife within the reserve. This research provides critical information to the organizations dedicated to conservation of these unique and beautiful animals. Some of your tasks may include:
– Monitoring the behavior, feeding patterns and movement of elephants.
– Collecting and record data on a pride of lions. This entails being in the bush to observe hunting, social, breeding and territorial behavior at various times of the day (this may involve night drives).
– Monitoring the rhino population to support data recorded by the anti-poaching team. This helps the reserve managers better understand the health of the rhinos.
Capturing data as requested by the reserve management team for their ongoing endangered species work.
– Carrying out the physical work required to regenerate a natural environment for the animals. This includes prevention of further soil erosion and removal of old structures that may be harmful to the animals.
Contributing to long term effects of removing alien plants from the park.
You may also be given the opportunity to help use your existing and new found knowledge by discussing conservation education
Participants’ time at the reserve will be split between the focuses of the program in approximately the following way:
– Big 5 monitoring: 40-50%, Conservation work within the park: 30-40%, Data recording: 10-20%
- Number of Volunteers: Up to 8 participants (Please note this adventure requires a minimum of 4 participants)
- Accommodations: You will be staying in shared, upgraded rooms with no more than 2 people per room, both in Johannesburg hotel accommodations as well as the scientific project accommodations. The lodge at days 11-13 will be at a higher standard.
Please note: Johannesburg hotel accommodations are subject to change due to local conditions, but will be at the same standard of comfort as those presented on this page.
- Most meals are provided: Days 1 & 2: Breakfast provided. Days 3 – 14: All meals provided
- Airport Transfers: All airport transfers are provided.
- Support: Comprehensive and professional pre-departure travel guidance, 24/7 GoEco emergency hotline, experienced local field team.
- Flights, visas (if required), travel health insurance, some meals (check itinerary), personal expenses. Note: Domestic flights between Johannesburg and Hoedspruit are not included in the adventure cost (appx. 400 USD). Please request assistance for the booking of these flights in advance.
- Basic level of English.
- Average physical fitness and sufficient heat endurance
Adventure Departure Dates
- August 17th, 2019
- August 31st, 2019
- September 28th, 2019
- October 12th, 2019
- October 26th, 2019
- November 09th, 2019
- November 23rd,2019
- December 07th, 2019
Adventure Cost: $3,450 USD