La Costa Rica! (Costa Rica, Central America)
In a Nutshell
Some destinations are self explanatory. Costa Rica? The rich coast? Say no more.
But what most people don’t know is that Costa Rica’s richness isn’t based in natural resources- there is no gold, no oil. Is coffee a natural resource? Mmm, that depends what hour of the day it is 🙂
Costa Rica’s bounty consists of its nature, culture and opportunities to relax. It is famous for its diverse wildlife, its numerous scenic landmarks (especially for a relatively small country) and of course, its magnificent beaches, that lie back-to-back with its tropical cloud forests.
But above all that, the most evident valuable? resource is the human spirit. The people of Costa Rica will surround you with the smiles, the kindness and the hospitality that are Costa Rica’s greatest assets. But not all is good.
This adventure is designed for solo travelers, couples or groups of friends that wish to do good together; and for families who wish to enjoy a meaningful adventure together. We aim to recruit the adventurous and compassionate travelers that like the tropical sphere but are less keen on diving and prefer to support and study the animals that need that help- on solid ground.
The contributional work component of this adventure focuses on helping with conservation, research and care in the Costa Rican cloud forests of Monteverde. Montverde has been described by National Geographic as “the jewel in the crown of cloud forest reserves” and by Newsweek as one of the world’s top “places to visit before they disappear.”
Tourists are encouraged to see it while they still can, but, hey, we are not regular tourists, and we can do more than have a glance; we can help prevent- or is that overpromising? this grim prophecy. We will make a difference by helping with conservation programs, maintenance of the park trails, animal protection, data collection and research.
During the second half of the adventure, we will be introduced to Costa Rica’s marvelous coastline, rich indigenous culture, cuisine and way of life. Yes, some soaking up of the sun on the beach is definitely on the itinerary for this part of the adventure 🙂
Warning! Coming back home may be a struggle, but the smiles, seashells and sunshine will make it worth the effort…
Day 1, Sunday: Bienvenidos! Arrival into San José, Costa Rica (SJO: Juan Santa María International airport). Transfer to a boutique hotel in San José.
Day 2, Monday: This morning will start with an orientation session, followed by a full day of cultural immersion activities, such as a tour of San Jose, a visit to the Gold and Jade museum and more. A welcome festive dinner will delight our senses in the late evening.
Day 3, Tuesday: We will travel to Monteverde and enjoy a typical Costa Rican lunch on our way. After checking in to our Eco Lodge, we will immerse ourselves in the new surroundings.
Day 4, Wednesday: Rise and shine. After an introduction to the reserve, a biologist will guide our walk in the cloud forest as preparation for our contributional work in the reserve over the next few days. In the afternoon we will visit the reserve’s famous hanging bridges and hummingbird garden.
Day 5, Thursday: Contribution time! The first half of our day will be dedicated to research work at the reserve. In the afternoon we will unlock the magic of Costa Rican coffee via a coffee plantation tour.
Day 6, Friday: Today will start with contributional work on the reserve. In the afternoon we will have an eco workshop at the University of Georgia’s research campus in Monteverde.
Day 7, Saturday: During the first half of the day- we’ll do more research work at the Monteverde Reserve. In the afternoon we will have a yoga class, take our time and relax.
Day 8, Sunday: Our final day in Monteverde. We’ll start with more research work at the Reserve. Later, we will visit Monteverde town, and say goodbye to this magnificent area and to the researchers over dinner.
Day 9, Monday: Adios Monteverde! After breakfast we will travel through the mountains to the Central Pacific Coast, stopping for an authentic lunch along the way, off the beaten track . We will settle into our home for the next four days in Punta Leona, a beautiful eco resort with a white sand beach, blue ocean and 750 hectares of protected, tropical wet and dry forest.
Day 10, Tuesday: Buenos dias, Punta Leona. In the morning we will go wildlife watching. After that, a Tranopy tour will combine a flight over the treetops in a safe, aerial tram with the excitement of the canopy tour. In the afternoon we will visit a butterfly garden and then relax on the beach and enjoy the amazing sunset.
Day 11, Wednesday: Wildlife care day. Today we will visit the animal sanctuary, where we will witness the long process of rescuing, rehabilitating and ultimately releasing exotic animals back into the jungle.
Day 12, Thursday: Final day. The spectacular wildlife of Costa Rica will serve as the finale of our adventure: we will see crocodiles at close range, exotic birds, iguanas and much more. At night we will celebrate the end of our time together by enjoying Costa Rican folk dances and a delicious farewell dinner.
Day 13, Friday: Adios Costa Rica! Transfer back to Juan Santa María International airport, in San José.
- Location of the adventure: Monteverde, Punta Leona, San José , Costa Rica (Multiple locations)
- Project length: 13 days
- Airport: Juan Santa María San José (SJO)
- Contributional Work: Cloud Forest preservation: Work involves participation in conservation programs, maintenance of the park trails, patrolling, animal protection, research and any other specific activities or projects that the Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve develops during the year. These can include: assisting with data collection and research, orchid protection program, amphibian monitoring program, bird count and data collection of various native species.
- Family Option: This project accepts families with children as young as 5 years old.
- Number of Participants: This adventure requires a minimum of eight participants in a group.
- Accommodations: All accommodations are provided in eco friendly hotels and ecolodges
- Food: Three meals per day are included
- Transportation:Airport transfers upon arrival and departure and all inland travel is included.
- Orientation: Orientation and a San José city tour is included plus a brief tour of the town of Monteverde and the Cloud Forest Reserve
- Support: Comprehensive and professional pre-departure travel guidance, 24/7 emergency hotline, experienced local field team accompanying the group throughout the program.
- Other: Costa Rican cooking classes, A City Tour, San José Museum, Hanging bridges and hummingbird garden, coffee tour, Yoga class, Tranopy experience, visit to the Sanctuary “Animal Rescue Center,” sanctuary, crocodile tour, Latin dance classes, folk dancing dinner show.
What’s Not Included
International flights, visas (if required), travel health insurance, personal expenses, lunch and dinner on the first day.
Adventure Departure Dates
- August 4th, 2019
- September 1st, 2019
- October 6th, 2019
- November 3rd, 2019
- December 1st, 2019
Adventure Cost : $3,790 USD