LIVING WITH LIONS
In a Nutshell
If you think that observing lions from a safari Jeep is exciting, try spending a few days alongside them on a rehabilitative reserve. Study them, feed them and create enrichment activities, so that they will be able to survive when released into the wild.
One week of volunteer work in the beautiful Antelope Park Game Reserve is followed by a week of tours, sightseeing and relaxation in and around majestic Africa and the grandeur of Victoria Falls. We provide you with the opportunity to both contribute to a wildlife conservation project and to also explore the authentic African landscape and culture with a group of like-minded and similar-aged people, while staying in comfortable, even luxurious, accommodations. Your contribution during the volunteering portion of this adventure will make a positive impact on the wildlife of the region, especially the lion population of Antelope Park.
Day 1, Monday: Arrive at Bulawayo, Zimbabwe (BUQ). Transfer to project site in Antelope Park. Accommodations will be in upgraded, shared on-site rooms right on the river bank.
Day 2, Tuesday: Participants will be introduced to the staff and the lion project.
Day 3, Wednesday: Morning horse ride or lion activity that includes meal preparation or the cleaning and painting of enclosures. Research-based walk with the lions.
Day 4, Thursday: Morning will be spent at the release site, followed by a free afternoon or optional lion activity. Night-time, observation-based lion encounters.
Day 5, Friday: Half-day local village experience, followed by working on a community project in a local area.
Day 6, Saturday: Morning spent with research team at the release site. Afternoon lion activity.
Day 7, Sunday: Relaxation day in Antelope Park.
Day 8, Monday: Transfer to the magnificent Hwange Natural Reserve. Accommodations are in an authentic, yet very comfortable African lodge.
Day 9, Tuesday: Participants will embark on a full-day safari in Hwange.
Day 10, Wednesday: Morning drive to Victoria Falls. Accommodations in a beautiful, luxurious Lodge and Spa hotel on the Zambezi River.
Day 11, Thursday: Visit to Victoria Falls. Upon return, we will go canoeing on the Zambezi river.*
Day 12, Friday: Free day for participants to relax or sightsee on their own.
Day 13, Saturday: Last day will begin with a rhino walk.* In the afternoon, after some time off, we will go on a sunset cruise, to celebrate the end of this adventure.
*Starred activities can be replaced with half day adventurous white water rafting and/or relaxed fishing. Activities can also be scheduled in a different time than suggested during days 11-13.
Day 14, Sunday: Transfer to Livingstone airport (LVI) for departure.
*Please note: Slight changes may occur in the program schedule due to local weather conditions.
- Location of the adventure: Zimbabwe & Zambia (multiple locations)
- Project length: 2 weeks
- Arrival Airport: Joshua Mqabuko Nkomo International Airport (BUQ)
- Departure Airport: Harry Mwanga Nkumbula International Airport (LVI)
- Contributional Work: Management of the lions’ daily needs including food preparation, feeding, and research in the release site and maintenance of enclosures. Option to participate in a community based project in a small village just outside of Antelope Park
- Number of participants: Up to 10 participants (Please note that adventure requires a minimum of 4 participants.)
- Family Option: This project accepts families with children as young as 5 years old.
- Accommodations: You will be staying in upgraded riverside tent accommodations in Antelope Park and in comfortable, luxurious hotel rooms with a maximum of two participants per room.
Please note: Specific accommodations are subject to change due to local conditions, but will be at the same, high standard of comfort as those presented on this page.
- Food: Most meals are included: Days 1- 9: Full board (three meals per day), Days 10, 11, 12: Breakfast only Day 13: Breakfast and dinner are provided.
- Airport Transfers: Airport transfers are included on both arrival and departure days.
- Support: Comprehensive and professional pre-departure travel guidance, 24/7 emergency hotline, experienced local field team.
What’s Not Included
Flights, business visas (required), travel health insurance, some meals (check itinerary), personal expenses, optional activities on Day 12.
- Basic level of English.
- Minimal physical fitness and heat endurance.
Adventure Departure Dates
- April 15th, 2019
- May 6th, 2019
Adventure Cost: $4,500 USD